It’s not unusual for someone to experience a state of grief after losing a loved one, and the process can fluctuate, so offering support can be an essential element. The events might be held at one of the funeral homes in St. Johns, OH, and once these are completed, the household or individual will have to begin learning how to live their life without the loved one. Food service can be a great way to offer them nourishment and substance during their time and show your support, so here are some ways to get started.
Organizing a Meal Train
If you have decided to offer the family support with food, you will need to get organized to meet their needs effectively. The first place you will need to start is by asking some essential questions to the household, so you know that you’re providing them with personalized food options.
- Are there any specific preferences, such as vegetarian or vegan requests?
- Does the household have any intolerances or food allergies to be aware of?
- What kind of kitchen utensils do they have for cooking, such as a microwave or oven?
- How would they like to be contacted to let them know that the meal is on the way?
- How many individuals are staying in the home currently?
- Are there going to want to receive company at the time of the food delivery?
Once you have answered these questions, you can reach out to anyone who may have expressed an interest in being a part of the meal train. Creating a calendar online will make it accessible to others who want to help out to sign up for specific days and times to provide food.
Great Meal Ideas to Provide
One thing to keep in mind when you are preparing the meals is that you want to bring them to the household and containers that don’t need to be returned, which can help reduce the stress level around the process. Some great homemade meal ideas are:
- Casseroles in any form
- Baked pastas like spaghetti or lasagna
- Pan baked chicken and vegetables
- Crockpot style soups or chili
- Premade salads with dressing on the side
- Build your own taco or burrito
- Lunchmeats with rolls and condiments
If the household has children, one suggestion that could bring a fun option is to create your own pizza or purchase food designed for children like finger foods. In addition to this, make sure you include beverages, a dessert, and you may also want to have a small handwritten note or extra treat for the individual or family.
Professional and Compassionate Services
Nourishment comes in many forms, and whether it’s offering support and being physically present for the person or providing food, they can let the one experiencing the loss know they are not alone. If you have recently lost a loved one and you’re looking at funeral homes in St. Johns, OH, you want a locally trusted company you can count on, and we are here. We offer multiple services and would love to help you through the process so contact us today to schedule an appointment.